Pages

Sunday, December 15, 2019

Third Sunday of Advent 2019

~Today is GAUDETE SUNDAY, the Sunday of Rejoicing for Emmanuel will come!
"Rejoice, Rejoice! Emmanuel will come to you oh Israel."

Jesse Tree Story: ISAIAH
Jesse Tree Symbol: A HOT EMBER

Scripture: "Listen to the Word of the Lord, you leaders of the people of Sodom. Listen closely to the law of our God, o people of Gomorrah: The multitude of you sacrifice, what is that to me, says the Lord? I am full. I do not desire holocausts of rams, nor the fatlings, nor the blood of calves and of lambs and he-goats. When you approach before my sight, who is it that requires these things from your hands, so that you would walk in my courts? You should no longer offer sacrifice in vain. Incense is an abomination to me. The new moons and the Sabbaths and the other feast days, I will not receive. Your gatherings are iniquitous. My soul hates your days of proclamation and your solemnities. They have become bothersome to me. I labor to endure them. And so, when you extend your hands, I will avert my eyes from you. And when you multiply your prayer, I will not heed you. For your hands are full of blood. Wash, become clean, take away the evil of your intentions from my eyes. Cease to act perversely. Learn to do good. Seek judgment, support the oppressed, judge for the orphan, defend the widow. And then approach and accuse me, says the Lord. Then, if your sins are like scarlet, they shall be made white like snow; and if they are red like vermillion, they shall become white like wool. If you are willing, and you listen to me, then you will eat the good things of the land. But if you are not willing, and you provoke me to anger, then the sword will devour you. For the mouth of the Lord has spoken."
Isaiah 1:10-20

Commentary: The prophet Isaiah is called to holiness, but he is afraid he is not worthy of revealing the living God. Isaiah sees angels around the throne of the Lord and one of them takes a hot ember with tongs and touches it against his lips, enabling him to go forth and deliver God's Word.

Readings of the Day:
Isaiah 35:1-6, 10
Psalm 146
James 5:7-10
Matthew 11:2-11

No comments:

Post a Comment