Pages

Sunday, December 16, 2018

Third Sunday of Advent 2018

Today is GAUDETE SUNDAY, Sunday of Rejoicing for Emmanuel will come.
"Rejoice, Rejoice! Emmanuel shall come to you oh Israel."
(ROSE CANDLE)

Jesse Tree Story: ISAIAH
Jesse Tree Symbol: HOT EMBER

Scripture: "Hear what Yahweh says, you rulers of Sodom; listen to what our God teaches, you people of Gomorrah. 'What are your endless sacrifices to me?' says Yahweh. 'I am sick of burnt offerings of rams and the fat of calves. I take no pleasure in the blood of bulls and lambs and goats. When you come and present yourselves before me, who has asked you to trample through my courts? Bring no more futile cereal offerings, the smoke from them fills me with disgust. New Moons, Sabbaths, assemblies -- I cannot endure solemnity combined with guilt. Your New Moons and your meetings I utterly detest; to me they are a burden I am tired of bearing. When you stretch out your hands I turn my eyes away. You may multiply your prayers, I shall not be listening. Your hands are covered in blood, wash, make yourselves clean. Take your wrong-doing out of my sight. Cease doing evil. Learn to do good, search for justice, discipline the violent, be just to the orphan, plead for the widow. Come, let us talk this over,' says Yahweh 'Though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be white as snow; though they are red as crimson, they shall be like wool. If you are willing to obey, you shall eat the good things of the earth. But if you refuse and rebel, the sword shall eat you instead -- for Yahweh's mouth has spoken.' "
Isaiah 1:10-20

CommentaryThe prophet Isaiah is called to holiness, but he is afraid he is not worthy of revealing the living God.  Isaiah sees angels around the throne of the Lord and one of them takes a hot ember from a fire with tongs and touches it against his lips, enabling him to go forth and deliver God’s Word.

Readings of the Day:
Zephaniah 3:14-18
Isaiah 12
Philippians 4:4-7
Luke 3:10-18

No comments:

Post a Comment